HISTORY OF YOUNG ISLAND
Young Island is named after Sir William Young, a former Governor of St. Vincent. Approximately 50 yards off Young Island Resort is the sugar-loaf shaped Fort Duvernette (also known as Rock Fort). The fort was built around 1800 on the rock islet, 200 ft above the sea, to protect the original chief town of Calliaqua and its important anchorage.
In 1974 Young Island became one of the first private resort islands in the Caribbean and today is a very popular holiday destination.
Young Island Cut, the channel of water between Young Island and Villa Beach, is a much sought after anchorage for visiting yachts.